A Hudson Avenue beauty shop was damaged
yesterday by fire caused by combustibles placed too close
to a hot water tank, a fire official said.
The fire at J&R Beauty Supply, 664 Hudson,
started about 3:55 p.m. The shop was open; people inside
got out safely before firefighters arrived.
The fire produced a lot of smoke that set
off an alarm, said Rochester Deputy Fire Chief Robert Wegman.
The fire got into the ceiling, which gave firefighters additional
"Most of the time we were there was spent
making sure it didn't flare up again," Wegman said. Firefighters
had to rip apart much of the ceiling; they left the scene
about 8 p.m., Wegman said.
Reprinted With Permition
From The Democrat and Chronicle